Tennis Warm-Up Exercises
October 27, 2021
Before playing any sports or participating in exercise activities, it is essential to warm up to prevent injury and help you get mentally prepared for the game. Whether you are a beginner tennis player looking for warmup exercises or are a seasoned player looking for a way to change up our warmup, Sport Court of Pittsburgh has put together some great tennis warmup exercises to try before your next game.
Stretches to Limber You Up
Like many people, you may have some areas that get tight and need to be released before exercising. Try stretches such as:
- Side bends – Stand with both feet together and raise both of your arms above your head. Clasp your hands if you can, and then bend to one side without any twisting. Hold this position on each side for 30-45 seconds.
- Hip flexor – Start in the kneeling position and bend your other leg at a 90-degree angle. Draw your belly button inward and tighten your glutes, tucking your bottom under. Do not arch your lower back and hold this position for 30-45 seconds. Repeat 2-3 times on each side.
- Calf – Stand near a step with your feet staggered. Put one leg forward for support and lean against the wall with your upper body, keeping your foot pointed straight.
Jumping and Shadowing Exercises to Get the Blood Pumping
Now that you’re all stretched out, it’s time to get that heart rate up! Try these exercises to get the blood pumping:
- Jumping jacks – These will help you increase your range of motion for swinging the racket and will help raise your heartbeat. Try out two sets of 25 jumping jacks and increase to what you are comfortable with.
- Jumping rope – This exercise can help you increase your agility, speed, as well as your balance, and coordination. Try jumping rope for a few minutes as part of your warmup routine to get your body ready to move.
- Shadowing – As part of your warmup, mimic or “shadow” the movements you will be making during your tennis game. Practice the movements of volleys, service motions, forehands, backhands, and overheads.
Want to Practice at Home? Build Your Own Sport Court!
At Sport Court of Pittsburgh, we can bring the tennis game to you! With our state-of-the-art courts built with safety and quality in mind, we can help you customize the perfect practice space for your tennis games. Contact us today to learn more!